Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Gothmund

There's a little fishing village called Gothmund on the Trave River not far from here, where we read that the main street is just a footpath, and that the houses still have thatched roofs. Gothmund is so isolated that, in 1806, when Lübeck was under French occupation, the ransacking soldiers missed it completely, even though they passed within only a hundred meters of it. Our travel guide said that Gothmund hasn't changed much since then, so naturally we had to find it. 


We started out for Gothmund on foot, figuring we'd catch a bus when we got tired. On the way, we stopped at an Esso station and bought a good map of the Lübeck area, and continued walking. We passed an expensive-looking neighorhood, a festival platz with circus tents set up (but not much action), and woods with holly and ivy growing in them. Seven kilometers later, we arrived in Gothmund, looking forward to rewarding ourselves with kuchen and tea at what would surely be the cutest bakery in Europe in this remote village in the heart of the Lübeck suburbs.

Gothmund turned out to be very pretty, indeed -- although a tad more upscale than we'd imagined it -- but much to our dismay, there was not a bakery to be found there. 

Fortunately, the number 12 bus stop was nearby, so we hopped on, and were back in Lübeck in 20 minutes flat, exhausted. You'd better believe our dogs were barkin'! 

Visit to Gothmund: check. 

Before we left for Gothmund this morning, I had a little personal adventure. I badly needed a haircut, and it happens that there's a good friseur (hairdresser) next door to our flat. Our landlord, Peter, told me that, unfortunately, she doesn't speak English, so I knew I would have to explain to her, in Deutsch, what I wanted, which made me very anxious. I have now learned this about myself: I will go way outside my comfort zone for a haircut!

This past weekend, while we were at Eva and Guntram's, Eva helped me write down, in German, what I needed: shorter layered front and sides, with the possibility of styling without a hairdryer on occasion. 

After frühstück this morning, I put on my coat and bravely walked next door. With my piece of paper from Eva, I asked for an appointment, described what I needed, and came away with a cute haircut by Amelia, who was very sweet about it all! After introducing myself and telling her I don't speak good Deutsch but that I would try, I said, "Konnen Sie mir einen Termin, um Haare scheiden geben?" She checked her appointment book and said, "Ja, jetst!" which meant, "Yes, now!" and I was on my way! Speaking in a foreign language and being understood is an amazing thing. 

2 comments:

  1. OH MY! I'm so proud of you, Janet! Congratulations! What a huge hurdle to communicate effectively something so detailed, and subjective. WOW. I shall toast your ever-growing German language skills, your bravery. . .and your new haircut!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice going ! Happy new year !!

    ReplyDelete