Monday, December 15, 2014

Our first night in Lübeck

Arriving in Germany for a winter's stay


Today we arrived in Lübeck, having flown from Minneapolis to Philadelphia to Munich to Hamburg. We finished our journey by train from Hamburg to Lübeck, and our landlord, Peter, kindly picked us up at the bahnhof in a misty rain. 

For the next two and half months, our home is a furnished flat in the north-east corner of Lübeck's innenstadt. To give an idea of the kind of neighborhood we're in, Peter's bedroom wall used to be the wall of the original castle, built in the 13th century. Here's the castle gate. 

We are jet-lagged but happy and well-fed, thanks to Peter, who prepared us a home-cooked meal after our nap. Tomorrow, the exploring begins!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I had no idea! I will read your blog with great interest. I have been to Germany three times and I love it! In 1973, I was briefly in Lubeck, traveling by bicycle. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice . Never been to Germany but hope to go there in 2017. Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog, the pictures and the descriptions of the area and its history are interesting. I’m jealous that you had such a wonderful pipe organ experience on Christmas Eve. We also drove up to the Baltic sea with our former Rotary exchange student’s parents from Lubeck. I never thought I’d see the Baltic from Germany. I will keep following your posts.

    ReplyDelete